I’m guessing my mailing information has made it onto numerous promo lists, because I get packages in the mail that I don’t know where they’re coming from or what I’m supposed to do with it.
Some of it is lame, while some of it is pretty cool. So I’ve decided to start a new feature called “Doom Deliveries” where I — as well as other GoD staffers — will post pictures of stuff that just shows up in the mail.
This first entry was prompted by a package that showed up the other day containing a box with three cans of Mountain Dew soda (see image here at right). But it wasn’t of the ordinary Mountain Dew flavors, but of three other varieties I’d never seen before. Now, I’m not up on the current happens in the world of soda, since I [for the most part] gave up that beverage [which I loved so much] earlier this year. (I still drink it on occasion, but my prior soda consumption labeled me as a “soda junkie.”)
I checked out the back of the box and there was an explanation that in November 2007, Dew drinkers participated in a series of online games at DEWmocracy.com, where they were able to choose the flavor, color, name, logo, and label for the next Mountain Dew product. These three cans I was received were the finalists:
- Supernova – Dew with a blast of strawberry melon flavor and ginseng
- Voltage – Dew charged with raspberry citrus flavor
- Revolution – Dew infused with wild berry fruit flavor and ginseng
I did eventually get an email from a promo person who explained to me what the deal was with these three Dew candidates. The three flavors will hit shelves for a limited time this summer to give consumers the opportunity to try them out and cast their vote for their favorite. Once the election results are in, the ultimate winner, “the People’s Dew,” will be officially recognized as an honored member of the Mountain Dew lineup.
Now, I know I said I don’t drink soda anymore, but looking at these cans really made me want to try them out. (Hey, they are limited time only — I can live a little!) Don’t worry, I didn’t drink all of it; I shared them with my husband and Mimi (my mother-in-law).
At right is my little taste-test set up (those souvenir Planet Hollywood tall shot glasses finally came in handy!), complete with a Led Zeppelin-logo’ed shot glass full of palate-cleansing seltzer.
Here are the results:
- Eve’s choice: Supernova – I typically drink diet soda, so I found Voltage to be too sweet and the raspberry overpowering. Before the taste test, I assumed I would go for the wild-berry flavor of Revolution, but I found the taste too be too indistinct. Supernova had just the right amount of sugar, and the mix of strawberry and melon was refreshing.
- The Husband’s Choice: Voltage – He liked the raspberry taste of Voltage because it was just like a blue slushee, which he loves so much; his first reaction to Voltage was that it was like Windex, then he tasted it again and said maybe more like lemon juice; lastly, he thought Supernova was all right, and that it was a lot like fruit juice, but not enough zing to it.
- The Mother-In-Law’s choice: My water-drinking MIL nearly hurled at the thought of drinking caffeinated sugary soda, so her portion of the taste test was actually a “sniff test” instead. Upon sniffing, MIL concluded that the light, less-sugary scent of Supernova was the winner.
Once the taste test was complete, I went to DEWmocracy.com and registered so I could vote for my choice. You can view voting results for each individual state in the U.S., and it looks like in my state Voltage is winning with 57% with Supernova in second with 25%.
After you cast your vote, there’s all these campaign tools you can use to promote your favorite drink. Let me tell you, this is one smart marketing campaign, and I have to say, I don’t mind rewarding clever — and fun — marketing, especially for a product I enjoy. So, with that, check out my banner below.