Last week, we told you about the special theatrical screening and live panel with the stars for Michael Dougherty‘s Trick ‘r Treat taking place on October 28 in Hollywood, CA. During last night’s post-screening panel, which included director Dougherty and stars Dylan Baker (who we interviewed here), Brian Cox, Jean-Luc Bilodeau, and Quinn Lord, a sequel to the Halloween horror anthology was announced!
The news that Legendary Pictures would be doing Trick ‘r Treat 2 was revealed during an audience Q&A session at the panel, which was hosted by Seth Green. A title card for the sequel was also unveiled (see image here at top).
The theatrical screening and the panel were both live-streamed, though there were some technical difficulties throughout the night with the stream. We had our man The Iceman on the scene at the event at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood – see his photo here below from the panel.
[Photo by The Iceman for Geeks Of Doom.]
Trick ‘r Treat producer Bryan Singer (X-Men, Superman Returns) also made a surprise appearance at the panel. While Singer was answering a question, “Sam,” the burlap sack-wearing trick-or-treating killer from the film, sauntered onto the stage carrying an envelope, which he handed to Singer. Inside was a question, “Will there be a sequel?,” to which Singer responded that it’s up to Thomas Tull, Legendary CEO, who was in the audience. Tull then stands up and says, “I can’t say no to Sam,” at which point the Trick ‘r Treat 2 was revealed on the big screen on stage.
I’m so excited for this news!!! Trick ‘r Treat is one of my favorite horror movies and it unfortunately never got the love it deserved when it was released – direct to home video! Last night’s screening was its first in a theater ever, so I hope the sequel gets more respect. The fans have let their voices be heard, so let’s get our butts in the seats for the sequel, if it actually comes to theaters.