It’s time to take a look at what the ubiquitous red kiosk, Redbox, has in store for February 2014 in their new release section for Blu-ray and DVD rentals. It may not quite be the same as aimlessly wandering up and down the video store aisles of yesteryear, but in a pinch and for those in need of instant movie gratification, it is a pretty close substitute.
This month in particular is going to be great for the action-seeking cinemaphile out there, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Slyvester Stallone, Danny Trejo, and Vin Diesel all bringing in high body counts, while a young boy’s military genius may be mankind’s only hope for survival. This month will also let fans of James Gandolfini say goodbye, and Oscar followers will get a chance to catch up with one of the Best Picture nominees.
So, without further ado, let’s check out what’s coming out this month!
Top February 2014 Rentals at Redbox
- Escape Plan (R) – For those who are jonesing for their next Expendables fix, Schwarzenegger and Stallone are here to help as they plan to get out of an inescapable prison.
- Runner Runner (R) – An online gambler finds himself over his head when he confronts the criminal mastermind he thinks swindled him and is instead offered a job in the organization.
- Carrie (R) – Stephen King’s puberty-struck telekinetic terror gets the remake treatment here with Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass) as titular teenager and Julianne Moore as her abusive mother.
- Ender’s Game (PG-13) – Orson Scott Card’s classic sci-fi book finally makes the transition to the big screen as a young boy is primed to lead an armada to destroy an alien species.
- Enough Said (PG-13) – Two single parents, played by James Gandolfini and Julia Louis Dreyfus, come to terms with having an empty nest and find themselves in a blossoming romance.
- Riddick (R) – Vin Diesel’s titular sci-fi antihero returns once again, this time trying to escape alien predators and bounty hunters alike on a desolate planet where he’s been left for dead.
- Machete Kills (R) – Robert Rodriguez directs a cast of “all-star” misfits as Danny Trejo’s Machete is hired by the President to assassinate an arms dealer bent on spreading war across the planet.
- Nebraska (R) – This multi-Academy Award nominee, including Best Picture, focuses on a road trip to Nebraska between a father (Bruce Dern) who believes he’s won a magazine sweepstakes and his son who begrudgingly decides to drive him there.
I’ll be back next month with a whole new batch of new releases and recommendations. Meanwhile, if you are looking for some streaming movie options, you can also see what I’ve recommended on Netflix for this month.