Sideshow Collectibles is renowned for their ability to make scale model replicas of popular entertainment creations and characters. These collectibles are of the highest of quality and make any collection induce jealousy in those who gaze upon it.
Their newest creation is no different; in fact, it’s one of their most impressive pieces to date. The company has created a 23 1/2″ high, 12″ wide 1:180 scale model of the title character of Joss Whedon‘s beloved sci-fi western show, Firefly: the ship itself, Serenity.
It’s nearly impossible to sum up the amount of detail and work that was put into this item, which is perfectly called Serenity — The Big Damn Replica, so you’ll have to refer to the list below for full details. The team that worked on it put in three whole years doing research and taking every possible measure and precaution to ensure its utmost flawlessness. The unfortunate aspect to this pile of awesome, is that most of us will never ever own one. You see, there will only be one thousand of them ever produced, and each one will cost you $2,699.99 with a $540 deposit required — OR, if you desperately need one, you can drop only $431 a month using their payment program.
Head over to the other side to read all of the insane details that are included in this replica AND to see many more cool images of it.
While my shaking hands will never be able to cradle this awe-inspiring little lady, it’s things like this that still can bring a smile to my face. The thought that even now, almost eight years after the show came and went before anyone realized its brilliance, someone is still willing to invest three years of their lives to replicate a part of it. If that doesn’t show you how popular Firefly and every single part of it is, then I just don’t know what would. This isn’t just the ultimate collectible, it’s a testament to the immortality of a world that’s so much more than just a show to its fans. I may just have to find someone at Sideshow to marry or begin a search for an ultra-rich heiress sugar-momma to buy me one. In a last-ditch act of desperation, I may show a little leg.
Here is Sideshow Collectible’s description of their item:
Celebrated by millions of fans around the world, the titular ship of Joss Whedon’s visionary movie masterpiece, Serenity, has existed in all its glory in digital form only – until now. More than three years in the making, Serenity – The Big Damn Replica, has been painstakingly crafted to be absolutely screen-accurate in every aspect. Unlike most ships from science fiction, Serenity was designed from the ground up to be as realistic as possible, from her floor plan to her construction, using real-world components and manufacturing processes. As one of her creators observed, the idea was to make Serenity so real, fans could see themselves walking her decks. With such a sense of place and familiarity, viewers would never feel lost in this Firefly-Class Transport.
When it came time to develop this replica, we could do no less. Every bolt, every seam and every asymmetrical plate has been recreated with exacting attention to detail in this first and only screen-accurate replica of Serenity. Years of intense effort have gone into all aspects of this model, from the model sculpture built from the movie special effects master files to the paint job created to match not just the colors of the ship, but the materials as well.
And here are all of the dirty details!
* One big boat. Our Serenity measures 19″x12″x7″, or 1:180 scale. (display stand adds 4.5″)
* Incredible complexity. The kit used to build Serenity consists of more than 250 parts, including resin, brass, aluminum and laser-cut acrylic. Many of the parts are custom-cut by hand, just for your replica.
* Film-quality build. Some 30 different colors, including flat and metallic paint, are used in the ship’s multilayer paint job.
* Spitting image. Weathering, wear and other painting effects are used to exactly mirror the movie version of ship.
* Superior components. Surfaces are crafted to simulate real-world materials – metal, ceramic, even the mirrored surfaces of the solar panels.
* No decals. All graphics on Serenity are painted on by hand, even Serenity’s logo.
* SFX Edition. Serenity – The Big Damn Replica incorporates some 32 lighting effects, including static, flashing, strobe and chase lights.
* Signature Edition. Nathan Fillion, Captain Mal himself, will be signing the builder’s plaque that comes with each Big Damn Replica.
* Wireless remote. The SFX Edition replica includes a wireless remote control to operate lights with a special button for activating “hard burn.” Lighting system automatically shuts down after 15 minutes to help protect the both the lights and model.
* Cool display. Serenity’s display base/diorama looks like a landing pad straight out of The Verse. It comes with an acrylic cradle that shows Serenity in flight.
* Big Damn Heroes. Crew members can be seen on the bridge.
* Pro Prop Crate. Each Serenity is shipped in custom-cut foam and stored in a hand-built wooden apple crate, just like what the pros use to safeguard their props.
* Jason Palmer Exclusive Art Print. Jason Palmer, one of the premier portrait artists working in entertainment today, was so taken with our girl that he’s creating an special art print of Serenity only available with the Big Damn Replica.
* The Build. The Big Damn Replica is offered for order built as shown in the attached photos.
* The Edition Size. Serenity – The Big Damn Replica will be limited to 1,000 pieces worldwide.
[Source: via /Film]