The future of Marvel Studios may be looking bright with its steady stream of successful movies, but many of us do not know what is beyond Spider-Man: Far From Home. Sure, there’s The Eternals, Black Panther 2, Doctor Strange 2, and Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3. But there’s also Disney’s acquisition of Fox, which means Marvel now has access to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four.
But while it stands to reason that many of the films that are already in production will be confirmed and that the X-Men and Fantastic Four will be a part of Phase 4, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says they won’t be making any official announcements for their five-year plan until after Far From Home. More on the report below.
During the Avengers: Endgame press junket last weekend, Feige spoke to IGN about Marvel Studios’ five-year plan. However, there was no mention of X-Men or Fantastic Four, despite the fact that Disney obtained the rights to those two properties when they acquired Fox’s entertainment assets last month. Here’s what he told the site:
“Probably. Probably, only because, as you’ve heard me say before, until it was all done, we literally couldn’t do anything. So essentially, it’s sort of Day One. But during that time, we have built and fleshed out our five-year plan of where we’re heading, the first few years of which we’ll be announcing, as I said, relatively soon, after these next two movies.”
Speaking to iO9, Feige said that Phase 4 would have a very distinct voice when compared to the previous three:
“The slate that we’re building over the next five years [is] not apples to apples. It is two very distinct things and I hope they’ll feel very distinct. But there is a similar mentality going into it, which is ‘How can we continue to tell stories with some of the characters that audiences already know and love in a unique way, in a different way, in a surprising way, of which we have a lot of plans and ideas and work already going into it?’ [Then] ‘How can we introduce new characters that even hardcore fans, comic fans, have barely known or barely heard of.’ That’s really exciting too.”
One possible place where Disney could make an announcement is over at San Diego Comic-Con, which was where the Marvel Cinematic Universe started when Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. came out to show the first Iron Man. Since then, Marvel has shown up at a few more Comic-Cons. They have also made appearances at the D23 Expo, which happens to be this year as well.
Now, since X-Men and Fantastic Four are probably not going to be part of the five-year plan, the other films in development should be under consideration. This includes the aforementioned films, plus the Black Widow standalone and Shang-Chi. Obviously, it will be very interesting to see what Marvel Studios’ next move will be after Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home.
And the X-Men films aren’t considered to be the best when put up against what Marvel Studios has put out. So, it only makes sense for Marvel Studios to wait a few more years before even thinking about producing and releasing an X-Men film.
Avengers: Endgame opens in theaters on April 26, 2019. Spider-Man: Far From Home hits theaters on July 5, 2019.
[Source: IGN | iO9]