Disney’s The Lion King (2019), Jon Favreau‘s reimagining of the animated feature of the same name, may not have been met with the same unanimous praise its animated counterpart received, but it was a hit, grossing over a billion dollars worldwide. Now the film, which features cutting-edge technology to turn the once-animated animals into photorealistic ones, is getting a home entertainment release.
Featuring hours of bonus features that showcase the cutting-edge technology behind the stunning savanna and a special look at the music of The Lion King, the film will be available on Digital 4K Ultra HD and Movies Anywhere on October 11, 2019, and on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray on October 22, 2019.
Check out the list of bonus features here below.
A lot of the bonus features included take a look at the technology it took to recreate these animated colorful characters and turn them into something almost real thanks to photorealistic technologies. Additionally, we will get to see the research trips the filmmakers took in order to get the nuances of these animals just right – everything from glades of grass and the smallest insects to your favorite characters like Simba, and Timon and Pumbaa.
Also included is the cast and crew reflecting on the legacy of the animated original, along with side-by-side comparisons of key moments and musical sequences.
Disney’s The Lion King, directed by Jon Favreau, journeys to the African savanna, where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.
The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon. Disney’s The Lion King utilizes pioneering filmmaking techniques to bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way.
• Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of “The Lion King.” From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
• Pride Lands Pedia –Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land and its inhabitants.
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL BONUS:
• The Journey to “The Lion King” –
• The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
• The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
• The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
– More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in “The Lion King.”
• “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
• “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
• “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
– Music Videos
• “Never Too Late” (lyric video) by Elton John
• “Spirit” performed by Beyoncé Knowles-Carter
– Filmmaker Introduction
– Audio Commentary – By Director Jon Favreau.
– Song Selection
• “Circle of Life”
• “I Just Can’t Wait to be King”
• “Be Prepared”
• “Hakuna Matata”
• “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
•“Never Too Late”
– Protect the Pride –Director Jon Favreau, the Lion Recovery Fund and conservationists highlight efforts to protect the majestic lions and their home.
The film is available to pre-order on Digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and DVD over at Amazon now.
Click right here for our review, interviews, trailers, and more.