The Walking Dead is headed into its 10th season tonight, and in traditional New York Comic-Con fashion, its cast and crew hyped the upcoming installment of the AMC drama at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in NYC on Saturday. Moderator Chris Hardwick took the stage to show the first five minutes of the Season 10 premiere alongside Cailey Fleming, Danai Gurira, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Josh McDermitt, Norman Reedus, chief content officer Scott M. Gimple, Seth Gilliam, showrunner Angela Kang, executive producer Robert Kirkman, and producer David Alpert.
Read here below for the top 5 things you need to know from The Walking Dead panel, along with video from the new season.
Top 5 Takeaways From ‘The Walking Dead’ Universe Panel
1. Lauren Cohan will return as Maggie to The Walking Dead for Season 11. The series has been renewed for an eleventh season and it will include Maggie! At the end of the fan Q & A, Hardwick noticed a person in line dressed as Negan with a Jason mask. He asked her to come on stage for a selfie with the cast, at which point she came up, and unmasked herself as Cohan.
2. Fan-favorite comic book character Juanita Sanchez a.k.a. “Princess” will be introduced this season, and will be played by Paola Lázaro.
3. Gimple teased that news on the Rick Grimes films will be released “in the next month or two.”
4. Robert Kirkman admitted that Negan is his favorite character and that he couldn’t bear to kill him off in the comics. He noted that he tried ending Negan’s storyline that way three different times and even wrote his death once, sending it to artist Charlie Adlard before changing his mind at the last minute.
5. Danai Gurira was given a standing ovation from the cast, crew, and fans as she gave an emotional goodbye as she exits the series. Gurira will step into the role of showrunner for HBO Max’s Americanah.
Extra Highlights Just For Fun:
– If Norman Reedus could rename “Dog,” he would name him “Merle.” Reedus thinks Daryl would enjoy the aspect of ordering “Merle” around.
– Cailey Fleming’s mom surprised her with the Judith Grimes Funko Pop toy. Fleming loved it and said, “I’m going to keep it forever!”
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Walking Dead panel without a sneak peek at the new season. So check out the spoiler-light description of the scene below:
Season 10 Sneak Peek
In the exclusive clip, a Russian satellite is seen falling from space, which Kang noted to be a reference to the themes of “paranoia and always being watched” this upcoming season. Next, we see the words “TRAINING DAY” and are brought into a military-style training exercise with the main cast, complete with spears and shields. The cast practices their fighting skills on a beach at what looks like some sort of bunker filled with water-logged walkers.
Watch the sneak peek for yourself below.
Be sure to click right here for more from New York Comic-Con 2019!
The Walking Dead Season 10 premieres on Sunday, October 6 at 9pm ET/PT.