In our coverage of The Walking Dead panel from this past weekend’s New York Comic-Con 2013, we talked about a scene that was previewed which showed the gang out on a run to the supermarket.
Tonight, The Walking Dead Season 4 premiered, and we got to witness the dire consequences of that supermarket run.
Check out the nearly 3-minute video here below, from the episode “30 Days Without an Accident,” which shows what happens after the group enters the supermarket. There’s also some SPOILER TALK down below the video.
Spoilers if you haven’t seen this first episode of Season 4.
There’s no doubt that this scene was intense and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but there were some things I was wondering about with this sequence and the moments that happened before it:
- I understand that the group is skilled in doing these provision runs, talking about their formations as if they are practiced in them, but it seems odd that they would seem to dilly-dally around the store. Get what you need and get out!
- Before the group goes into the store, we see that there’s a crashed helicopter on the roof, along with a lot of walkers, who are walking around aimlessly. We can presume that these walkers have been around the entire roof, searching for flesh, which would include the weak spot near the helicopter crash. So, it seems pretty convenient that they would fall through that area now. Ok, you can say that they were drawn to that area by the sound of the crashing shelves below, and that the weight of all of them standing in the weak spot did it. But, if you look, you can see the walkers are falling through various spots in the ceiling – there’s no a huge cave-in til the very end when the helicopter itself comes through.
- How long can walkers last without sustenance? If they were trapped on the roof, then they wouldn’t have had anything to eat. We’ve seen them last a very long time, but we’ve also seen them withering away at other times.
– And when did that helicopter land on the roof? And who were those Walkers? Were they all in the helicopter when it crashed? Because it seemed like a lot of Walkers there to have fit into that helicopter – even though it was a large helicopter. Ooh, maybe those were the supermarket employees and they took refuge on the roof, and the helicopter was coming to evacuate them, but it crashed instead. As we know from this show, all the dead come back as walkers, not just those who were killed or bitten by walkers.
– Kyle Gallner played Zach, a new member of the group that was a potential love interest for Beth. Zach turned out to be a hero, but truthfully, I still haven’t forgiven Gallner for the damage he did on Veronica Mars!
What were your thoughts on the supermarket run sequence, which was the reason behind the name of the episode, “30 Days Without an Accident”?